I had to give my stick a second coat of paint, so check back tomorrow for the finished project photo!
What You Will Need:
- Fleece Sock
- String of Beads
- Google Eyes
- Fake Eyelashes (in the makeup department)
- Boa (Found a great NON FEATHER one at Dollar General)
- Filling (I used the stuffing from an old pillow)
- Stick (old broom stick, or dowel rod)
- Glue Gun
- Needle and Thread
What to Do:
- Sand, Prime and Pant your stick and let dry at least 24 hours. You will see I used a clamp to secure the stick to my basement ceiling to paint it, but know that it will get paint on it as will your wall!
- Stuff your sock till it is well shaped
- Cut your Boa to length. I used 2 strips to achieve a fuller look
- Glue on the eyes, eye lashes, and boa. You will see that I used a couple bag clips to help keep the fluffy part of the boa out of the glue so I wouldn’t get stuck down by accident.
- Once it is dry give a good tug on everything and make sure it is well stuck, if not add some more glue. It is easier to fix it now when you have everything out and ready than tomorrow when your little one rips something off and is frantically yelling “Fix It Mommy, Fix It!”
- Add the reigns (your beads) by tacking down in key spots to hold it in place. Keep in mind that they will be getting a lot of tugging and pulling so tie them down well. You sill see in the photos above I use what I call a double thread needle – Fold your thread in 1/2 and then thread the needle and sew as normal for all the strength with 1/2 the stitching work!
- Now add on your nostrils. For this I used a double double thread (that is folded in 1/2 twice then through the needle).
- Now attach your head and stick. Add a generous amount of glue all around the top of your stick and place inside the back of the head (opening of the sock) then secure temporarily with a gum band. once it is cooled down wrap the bottom of the sock and a small ways down the stick tightly with your ribbon gluing as you go. Finish with a pretty bow if you like (Tip: glue in place or they will untie it every chance they get!!!!!)
You are done and ready to play!
Tip: Buy 2 boas and 2 strings of beads because your toddler will want them the second they see them!
Tip 2: The remaining boa and beads from your craft can be used to let Dolly play dress up too!
Have fun and as always, please be aware of choking hazards depending on the age and maturity of your child!